Thursday, August 8, 2013

SCBWI summer conference 2013


Just sinking back into my office after an inspiring SCBWI conference.

To name a highlight from a list of many:

Lin Oliver and Henry Winkler's workshop called Comedy Comes From the Heart. They stressed the importance of figuring out what you find funny. They told us to write for ourselves, not for an audience. Delight yourself. Mine your own life to create comedy. Love your character. Be willing to look like a fool.  In fact, Mr. Winkler even suggested dressing up as your character for inspiration.

What fun! As I type this, I'm wearing a suit, tie, and fedora.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it's important to write for ourselves first. I do like to incorporate humor into my work sometimes, so that's great advice. =)

    Do you think you might add a follower icon to your blog? I tried to subscribe to your blog posts, but for some reason, when I hit that button, I went to a screen with a bunch of assorted text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, cynthia. i will look into how to add a follower icon!

    ReplyDelete