Wednesday, October 8, 2014

the great roald dahl




If someone was able to scoop up the thoughts inside my brain and pull out the reason why I love to write for kids, this is exactly what I’d want to say.

“I have a passion for teaching kids to become readers, to become comfortable with a book, not daunted. Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should by funny, and wonderful; and learning to become a reader is a terrific advantage.”                                                                                                           –Roald Dahl

I’d also like to add, in addition to inspiring kids to read, I’m also passionate about inspiring kids to write. I think reading and writing walk hand in hand. Writing shouldn’t feel daunting either. It should be fun and exciting!

Every Wednesday, I teach a Creative Writing class to 4th and 5th Graders. Along with writing, we talk about the books my students are reading. I find it interesting that the things my students enjoy about their favorite books are qualities that show up in their own work. Which leads me to believe if you're a writer, I imagine you also love being a reader. I know I sure do.

No comments:

Post a Comment